Three SOM Faculty Named TBJ Health Care Heroes
At the annual Triangle Business Journal Health Care Heroes awards dinner, three UNC School of Medicine faculty were honored, as well as four other UNC Health Care employees.
Heath care and business leaders gathered last week at Prestonwood Country Club in Cary to honor Triangle Business Journals 2018 Health Care Heroes Awards winners, including three UNC School of Medicine faculty members:
- Joe Piven, MD, the Thomas E. Castelloe Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry at the UNC School of Medicine, director of the Carolina Institute for Developmental Disabilities, and member of the UNC Autism Research Center, won an award in the innovator/researcher category.
- Anne Steiner, MD, professor of obstetrics and gynecology, won an award in the innovator/researcher category.
- Flavio Frohlich, PhD, associate professor of psychiatry, biomedical engineering, and cell biology and physiology; director of the Carolina Center for Neurostimulation, and member of the UNC Neuroscience Center, won in the rising star category.
This years class of heroes ranged from health care executives to medical professionals, focused on areas such as innovative treatment and technology, mental health, and care for patients in need.
UNC Health Care award winners include:
- Jean Sellers, UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, medical professional category
- Jane Byrd, UNC Rex, health care manager category
- Francis Castiller, MD, UNC Rex, physician category
- Marilyn Willis, UNC Rex, volunteer category